Monday, November 30, 2015

Life in the [Truck] Driver's Seat: Brian's Story of 20+ Years OTR

We at SWTDT are trying out a new topic series entitled Life in the [Truck] Driver's Seat, which will give people a firsthand perspective on the ins and outs of a trucker's life. Because professional truck drivers often lead very private, solitary lives, we believe this series will serve two purposes:
  1. It will allow students and prospective truckers to have a more tangible vision of what their lives will be like once they get behind the wheel. 
  2. It will help the general population to better appreciate the important, and oftentimes difficult and thankless, role that truck drivers play in keeping our country running.
Below is Brian's story. He's a long haul trucker and father of 6 based out of Florida. We hope you enjoy his look into the world of trucking as much as we did!

Brian

On how he got into the business...
I started back in 1995, when I was 23. I was working in construction at the time, when my dad and grandpa John told me I should look into getting my CDL. I wasn't really doing too great [financially] where I was, so I jumped. Been in this profession 20 years. My gramps and my uncle Jack were truck drivers, so it seemed like a good fit. They were right. Tried many times to quit and try new things, but I guess it's true when they say, "trucking runs in the blood." 
Brian and one of his brothers, also a trucker
His perspective on how the medical requirements have changed over the years...
For the most part, it [passing the medical requirements] was easy at first. Then it grew to be a pain. When I first started driving, they didn't check the drivers out like they do now. You can't be just a body with a pulse anymore, you gotta have good blood pressure and be in somewhat decent shape. Otherwise, they only approve you for 6 months to a year, compared to two years if you're in perfect health. 
I would say drivers are more health-conscious now than they were 20 years ago. We do have a little more variety out on the road now [with food options]. Not only that, but more drivers seem to carry their own fridges, so they are able to eat healthier by cooking out of their own trucks.
On the types of loads he has carried...
Lots of paper loads! In fact, in the load I'm on now, I have 9 giant rolls of paper, weighing in total over 37,000 lbs. We as a country go through lots of paper. I've also hauled dry food goods to Walmart DC and other grocery chains, Home Depot loads, Tractor Supply, Lowes... and I hauled a load of created motorcycles once.
On his favorite make and model of big rig...
One of the many trucks Brian has driven
I think I've driven just about every make and model out there: Freightliner, Volvo, Peterbilt, Kenworth, international, Mac... My personal favorite is, the Kenworth. I love its shape and durability. It's cozy up front, spacious in back, pulls real good up steep grades and is just a great truck. And it looks good, too! The KW900 is my favorite!
On what it's like to drive a big rig, that other drivers wouldn't understand... 
Office view
The FREEDOM... you feel like a big fish with all the other little fish around you. Not in an arrogant way, but in a friendly way. You're a friendly face; the guy or gal who brings you what you need, or the one who pulls over to see if you need help. It's an awesome responsibility and also rewarding.

On where his truck has taken him...
I've been to all 48 states, even Canada! I love them all!  I wasn't too sure at first, snaking through the steep grades of this country. 
Some interesting sights
But I've grown to love it, and appreciate its beauty and structure. The lakes, oceans, the sunsets and horizons from every angle you can think of. It's been a privilege to drive on God's highway, and see all the wonderful things.  
There really is no favorite route. They all have their own flavor: 
Winding through the great Smokey Mountains on I-40, from Tennessee to North Carolina, at twilight, is a sight to see. All the steep ridges, plush greenery, and a sparkling river at your side. 
 
The I-81 corridor heading up through Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania on the Appalachian Trail is really beautiful, with all its rolling hills and different colored trees. 
His routes have taken him through Tucson, where he can meet up with siblings.
Ascending the Grapevine on I-5 in California, just its awesomeness makes you feel so small, as you disappear into its greatness. 
Or, if you're daring, take a back road from Phoenix, AZ on U.S. 60 through the Salt River Canyon, and see how deep you can go!
His free time on the road...
Brian's guitar rides with him everywhere
Out on the road, I am usually under a deadline so its hard to find time to really take in some good quality tourism. But when I do get time, I actually do what most people probably take for granted. I like to sit down and have a nice meal, take a walk, or walk around a Walmart, just to be away from the truck for a little while. I'll do some laundry, talk to some people... just try and pretend life is "normal" again. Being on the road takes a lot outta a person, and all the normal things aren't normal anymore.
About his family back home...


Brian and his wife, Donna
Well, I have 6 boys, and been married 23 years to a wonderful lady who puts up with this career. It has often been challenging. For me, when I first started, I bucked against being on the road. If it weren't for my wife who spurred me on, I probably wouldn't be out here. It takes a strong spouse, husband or wife. Now its not just guys out here leaving their wives at the house. You also got wives who are leaving their hubby at home to brave the open road. Either way, it does take the grace of God and a strong couple to do this lifestyle.
On having the support of his family...


At home, with friends and family
From the word GO! If they weren't supportive, I would not be out here. My kids grew up with me leaving, and they know how much I hate leaving out. It never gets any easier and, if you're not careful, your relationship can take a backseat. My wife Donna has been the rock and the glue to holds our family together. She always sees the bright side.
On how technology has changed the lives of truckers over the years...
Quick selfie while waiting on a load
When I first began to drive, it was payphones and phonecards. Now, it's texting and unlimited talk plans [on cell phones]. Technology has come a long way, along with the affordability. I used to only be able to call once or twice a day, and now it's my face on the screen every hour. I would like to Skype, but I don't think Donna wants to be on TV, well, any kind of screen for that matter.
Brian's advice for new truck drivers...
This lifestyle is for some, not for all. When you do come into this industry, try and keep the camaraderie going. There's an unwritten rule between truck drivers that's fading away with the new generation of drivers. Help your brother out, and have his back.
Get over, flash your lights, turn your Jake off going through town or neighborhoods, honk your horn at the little ones pumping their little arms, don't tailgate, and show respect to the law enforcement. These things will get you a long way, and you'll be proud to be a TRUCK DRIVER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment